Friday, October 3, 2008

1st attempts at serigraphs


Practice Cuts- Both of these are from Red Film
FYI: The film has a clear layer and a red layer. You cut the red layer like a stencil, expose it onto your screen like a photo negative, lay your silk screen on top, and pull the ink across. The Egyptian looking one I mixed a metallic in and the weird abstract one I blended the blue and green on top of the screen. Sounds simple right?
That's what I thought. I did these, yup simple, and then for my first actual assignment I thought I'd get creative and experiment.

I made the stencil using cardstock, after being advised not to. The stencils are supposed to be really thin so the ink comes through easily but I wanted something that looked really rough. I cut rough and jagged, and I used the cardstock anyway. I also mixed my own shade of reddish brown and used a really deep chocolate in the tree trunk. I liked the rough look and on my first few prints it was just the tree. But being that I had to use so much ink to get through my thick stencil, I decided to experiment further and remove the stencil. Then, the ink was on the screen in the lines of the stencil, and I finished the print by pulling thin layers over it.

No comments: