Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jeff Soto & My Welcome

Hi and welcome to my art blog. I hope you enjoy my sharing time.

Jeff Soto is one of my favorite discoveries. According to his resume, he received his BFA in 2002 but I distinctly remember finding his work in Juxtapoz during my freshman year (2003-2004). Of course this may not seem as big of an accomplishment to many people who are disinterested in the type of artists featured in this magazine, but to me it's inspiring. He didn't waste anytime after finishing his education. I hope I can say that one day.
I'm also very much in love with his style. The darkness of his characters and the dismay they seem to bring into an otherwise very bright and cheerful atmosphere, the relevance of environment and childish creativity. Mostly I love how so much is happening in one piece without seeming visually, too overwhelming for the viewer but simultaneously overpowering in subject. It's a very abstract spin of action in repose. It's as if each work is literally a window into a world from a very active mind that is perceiving and reinterpreting the real world. He successfully regurgitates the perspective of imagination. I've actually seen many artists attempt to imitate his style. But they fail, and being imitated, however much annoying it be, is a great compliment to an artist.
These two images (w/o permission, please forgive me) I snagged around my first discovery because they were the two pieces that I first fell for.

1 comment:

Matt Swartz said...

Sweet! I love Jeff Soto's work, and I think you're right about his ideas and images. Keep it coming! I want to see some of your work and more of what inspires you. Maybe I should start adding that to my blog... and thanks for the link :)