Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Art Dharma

I have this professor for 2D design, this very long winded and less helpful professor that I've had for a couple of classes in the past and hasn't changed. However, yesterday he lectured for TWO HOURS. That's pretty excessive for a design class. Normally I just get started on the work but he was actually addressing a student with a problem I've faced many times. This guy was struggling to produce something up to his standards and trashed his work the night before so he had nothing to present for critique. Our professor addressed this issue quoting Van Morrison and Zen concepts. He said he was sympathetic and not offended because sometimes you just don't get the result you expect. But, "A professional works everyday no matter how he feels" just to keep the motivation going even in complete desperation. The push and pressure from a dumb idea can accomplish remarkable results. "Great faith, great doubt, great practice" curiosity & inventiveness... wake up to the possibility. Every artist has to learn how to assimilate this to your own daily creative process.
The creative process..... yeah I'm working on that. I have this awesome work space at home. My walls and shelves are covered with things that inspire me but I just haven't pushed myself enough. I told my friend Loren the other day that I hate drawing because I'm slow and it doesn't come easy. But I love it because once I push myself to finish I've improved. But I hate it. And I hate things I'm not naturally good at. Obviously what I feel about drawing is another one of those love/hate relationships.
New goal: I want to start making my self draw in my sketch book daily.

PS I said I'm going to post all of my work from school this semester and I meant it. I just haven't got around to taking pictures of all of it. But I do have 7 assignments from Drawing class and 7 from 2d design and they will be up sometime this month. Here is my 2nd in-class still life. I turned it in unfinished, again because 3 hours is not enough time for me. About the quality of the photo... yeah I take these with my phone. Get over it =)

No comments: