Thursday, February 5, 2009

Valentines Cards

Valentines Day is coming up. One of my favorite hobbies is making greeting cards. I think it's more personal and a lot less stressful than shopping for something that says what you want to say, exactly the way you want it. I actually screen printed my Valentines a few months ago so I don't have anything new of my own work to show you. However, if you're not so crafty yourself check out these cards from Felix Populi (Brini Maxwell/Ben Sander). I think the design concept of "Don't let Love get away" is really cute and there is also a T-shirt available in that design.

In other news this semester I'm taking a drawing class. I definitely don't have a strength in drawing, or at least I'm not confident in it. I don't ever show people my sketch books. Actually, I never keep them. I fill them up and throw them away. I've been forcing myself to sit down and draw more often the past year but I know I need to be pushed more. When I met my drawing instructor I knew right away I was going to hate her in a really good way. She's a short, systematic, strict Asian lady. She makes us do specific drawing exercises every class period for 30 minutes. This is part of a participation grade. We spend the next 3 hours on an in-class assignment. Then she assigns homework to be turned in at the beginning of the next class.
The first in-class assignment was a still life of white styrofoam geometric shapes. Big surprise. I've been given this assignment so many times I can't count. Well I'm very self conscious in school so I like to camp out in the back and not interact with the other students. I don't like to feel discouraged or intimidated at school and art majors tend to be so arrogant. Once the instructor makes her way to me she just stands behind me, watching me work for a few minutes. Finally she says, "How do you feel?" WTF I'm thinking, well I felt ok until you asked me that. What am I doing wrong?? She starts talking about shading all the objects at once instead of working from piece to piece and how to blur things gradually the further they are in the background. Well, duh. I know this but I'm just not that great ok lady? First assignment, give me a break!
Then she surprises me, "I'm telling you this because you are obviously at a different skill level than the rest of the class and I see I'm going to need to challenge you."
Um, what? She left me slightly confused. I get up to get a drink of water and walk the hallway for a few minutes and finally get a glimpse at my classmates work. I don't think it's that different than mine, but when I walk back in the classroom, get a second look and finally get in front of my work I am quite surprised. I am actually at a different skill level than the rest of these students. That is not to say I'm great, just better than I thought. I know that I can definitely improve this semester and I need to get more comfortable with my work SO I've decided to post everything I do in drawing class. This is a big step for me guys so be kind :-)

No comments: